Privacy and cookies
The following is to explain your rights and give you the information you are entitled to under UK data protection legislation.
The data controller
The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) is the data controller. The Data Protection Officer can be contacted at [email protected] or by writing to the following address: Data Protection Officer, Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government, Fry Building, 2 Marsham Street, London SW1P 4DF.
Why we are collecting your personal data
We collect your data for the following purposes:
- We securely store the data, including name and address details, that you add to the online Right to Buy RTB1 application for up to 30 days, in order for you to save the form before completion and complete it at a later date. It will be deleted from the system 30 days after you first save the form
- We track usage of this website using small data files known as cookies. The cookies are not used to identify you personally, they are used to remember settings and information you have already provided so that you don’t gave keep entering them and measuring how you use the website so that we can make sure it meets your needs. Find out more about our cookie use below.
- To pass your contact details on to the Right to Buy agent’s service, if you use the contact an agent contact form, so that they can get back to you and answer your queries.
Our legal basis for processing your personal data
The collection of your personal data is lawful under article 6(1)(e) of the UK General Data Protection Regulation as it is necessary for the performance by MHCLG of a task in the public interest/in the exercise of official authority vested in the data controller.
Who we share your personal data with
MHCLG may appoint a ‘data processor’, acting on behalf of the department and under our instruction, for instance we pass on your contact details to our Right to Buy agent’s service if you complete the form requesting assistance. We ensure that the processing of your personal data remains in strict accordance with the requirements of the data protection legislation.
How long we retain your data
Right to buy application form (RTB1):
Your personal data will be held for 30 days from the date you first save the RTB1 form.
Right to Buy agent contact form
Your personal data will be held for 1 day
The data we are collecting is your personal data, and you have considerable say over what happens to it. You have the right:
- to see what data we have about you
- to ask us to stop using your data, but keep it on record
- to ask to have your data corrected if it is incorrect or incomplete
- to object to our use of your personal data in certain circumstances
- to lodge a complaint with the independent Information Commissioner (ICO) if you think we are not handling your data fairly or in accordance with the law. You can contact the ICO at https://ico.org.uk/, or telephone 0303 123 1113.
Please contact us at the following address if you wish to exercise the rights listed above, except the right to lodge a complaint with the ICO: [email protected] or Knowledge and Information Access Team, Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government, Fry Building, 2 Marsham Street, London SW1P 4DF.
Sending data overseas
Your personal data will not be sent overseas
Automated decision making
Your personal data will not be used for any automated decision making
Storage, security and data management
Your personal data will be stored securely and will be protected to make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn’t.
You can ask us for details of our instructions to staff on how to collect, use and delete your personal data.
We put small files (known as ‘cookies’) onto your computer to collect information about how you browse the site.
Cookies are used to:
- remember your progress
- measure how you use the website so it can be updated and improved based on your needs
Cookies aren’t used to identify you personally.
Find out more about how to manage cookies
When you first visit this website you should see a welcome message at the top of the page giving you the option to accept cookies or set your own preferences. We’ll store a cookie so that your computer knows you’ve seen it and knows not to show it again.
Measuring website usage (Google Analytics)
We use Google Analytics software to collect information about how you use the website. We do this to help make sure the site is meeting the needs of its users and to help us make improvements.
Google Analytics stores information about:
- the pages you visit
- how long you spend on each page
- how you got to the site
- what you click on while you’re visiting the site
We don’t collect or store personal information so this information can’t be used to identify who you are.
We don’t allow Google to use or share our analytics data.
|OwnYourHomePrefs||1 year 1 month||Records users choice about accepting non-essential cookies.|
|OwnYourHomeComparison||1 day||Records the schemes the user is comparing.|
|favouritescheme||Until browser clears site cookies.||Records the user’s current favourite scheme.|
Google Analytics cookie
Set for users who agree to have cookies
Unique user ID.
|_gid||2 years||Google Analytics cookie.|
|_ga||1 day||Google Analytics tracking cookie.|
|IDE||1 year||YouTube Used by Google DoubleClick to register and report the website user’s actions after viewing or clicking one of the advertiser’s ads.|
|GPS||For the length of the session||YouTube to store user location.|
|CONSENT||Approximately 17 years||Set by YouTube – purpose unclear.|
|YSC||For the length of the session||YouTube to store a unique user ID.|
|VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE||6 months||YouTube to estimate bandwidth.|